Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Regualr 8 cameras: opinions.

  1. #1
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    I need some help deciding on a Regular 8 camera. Anybody who has an opinion as to which regular 8 camera, Make and Model specific, is the best, please post. Also, sources for technical data on the camera would be appreciated. I also need to track down a place that will do repair on Bolex 8mm cameras and D-mount lenses, and perhaps a dealer that specializes in R8 Bolex, or a place where I could buy one reconditioned.

    Thanks

    ------------------

  2. #2
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    I don't know too much about 8mm cameras but I have 2. A Kodak Brownie and A Revere. Both are twin lenses and the Revere can shoot from 16fps up to 64fps. I got them for about 3 bucks each just as some display for my room.

    Do you know where to get Standard 8mm film? It's not made anymore but I hear from some people that it's still made somewhere in Europe, probably not true but yah. I'd love to try out my 8mm cameras if I could find some film for it.

    Jeff

    ------------------

  3. #3
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    8mm is still available, look for John Shwind's site on the super8mm directory.

    ------------------
    PRM

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I'm curious why anyone is still shooting regular 8.

    I'm not being insulting here, but I'm really curious, because the frame size is so damn small on Super 8 even, that it makes me nuts sometimes.
    How can you stand the grain on Regular 8?
    And where do you get stock?
    Is it worth it?
    It's almost not worth shooting Super 8, over 16mm, for me, but man, reg8 is just sooooo small!
    What's the appeal?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Mikko
    Guest Mikko's Avatar

    Post

    Matt- Film can be used in very different purposes.
    Not just in fearures with the best quality equipment you can get.

    And some of us just like to shoot film, no matter what (read: Home movies. What was the original purpose of inventing 8mm films?)

    I'd like to try regular 8mm some day, just for fun. Too bad that the regular 8mm camera that I own has been dead ever since I bought it.

    Is it worth it?

    How can you ask that? Ofcourse it is! If someone likes to shoot it, it must be worth something to him! Is it worth to shoot super 8 today when digital video is so much easier and cheaper? might someone ask. (not me)

    If you shoot film, just shoot it no matter what format / size! Even if it's 9,5mm, shoot it!

    Mikko

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Regular 8 Freak
    Guest Regular 8 Freak's Avatar

    Post

    I have obtained good results using a Bolex P1. My Bell-Howell 414 Director's Series is also a good camera and not as expensive as a P1. Rumor is that the Kennedy assassination was filmed using a B&H 414. The P1 has more features than most of the cheaper 8mm cameras(variable shutter, lots of speed settings, a back crank for dissolves, reflex viewing etc..). In my opinion, affordably, it is probably the best over all reg.8mm camera ever produced.
    I am also looking for someone to clean and lubricate my Bolex.
    As far as Matt's question about using reg. 8 vs. super 8, I shoot both. It just depends upon what I am doing. I inherited a lot of reg.8 equipment some years back and that is how I first came to shoot movie film period. Natrually that led me to Super 8. Last year I transferred a bunch of old family home movies (shot in reg.8) to video. I shot some new footage of family members present day using the same format. I then added some of the new films in with the old ones as a sort of novelty. It worked well and freaked some people out because they thought I had been taping them with a video camera. I mainly use it (reg.8) for home movies and experiments. I dunno I just think it's kind of neat. I buy film stock from John Schwind & develop the color stuff @ Wal-Mart for $4.88 per roll. You are right though, the difference in frame size and convenience makes super8 the more viable format.


    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Regular 8 Freak (edited January 14, 2002).]

  7. #7
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    Personally, I find regular 8 charming for a variety of reasons: 1) Nostalgia and tradition 2) Getting your hands on a roll of film rather than a cartridge (more involvement throughout) 3) Rarity.

    I would also suggest bidding on regular 8mm film on ebay. It can be much cheaper than other sources.

    I found a place online and this is what they told me...

    "shipping depends on the size of the order

    $5. for small orders in usa
    Regular (DOUBLE) 8mm film prices

    fomapan 100 b&w
    plus-x 25' on camera spool
    $15.99

    kodachrome 25' on camera spool $17.99

    ektachrome VNF 25' on camera spool $19.99

    prepaid kodak kodachrome processing mailer $11.

    add $3. spool deposit on b&w and ektachrome refunded
    when returned to us for processing

    Processing 8mm or super 8
    including return postage in USA

    just send the film with payment in a box or padded envelope to JAVA PHOTO 156
    1/2 Colllege Ave, Athens, GA 30601 BE SURE TO INCLUDE RETURN ADDRESS AND
    PHONE

    b&w reversal $16.50

    Kodachrome $12.50 (or purchase prepaid mailer for $11)

    ektachrome VNF $22.

    for VHS Video Transfer add $20 setup/tape fee and return postage (usa) for
    the first 50' reel then $6. per 50' reel. (.12 per foot) Volume pricing
    available for orders over1200'.

    You can order by phone, fax or e-mail. Payment by major credit cards or
    prepayment by money order or checks (must clear before shipment).

    706 354-0988 2-6 p.m. eastern time m-f"

    Hope that helps!

    ------------------

  8. #8
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    Personally, I find regular 8 charming for a variety of reasons: 1) Nostalgia and tradition 2) Getting your hands on a roll of film rather than a cartridge (more involvement throughout) 3) Rarity.

    I would also suggest bidding on regular 8mm film on ebay. It can be much cheaper than other sources.

    I found a place online and this is what they told me...

    "shipping depends on the size of the order

    $5. for small orders in usa
    Regular (DOUBLE) 8mm film prices

    fomapan 100 b&w
    plus-x 25' on camera spool
    $15.99

    kodachrome 25' on camera spool $17.99

    ektachrome VNF 25' on camera spool $19.99

    prepaid kodak kodachrome processing mailer $11.

    add $3. spool deposit on b&w and ektachrome refunded
    when returned to us for processing

    Processing 8mm or super 8
    including return postage in USA

    just send the film with payment in a box or padded envelope to JAVA PHOTO 156
    1/2 Colllege Ave, Athens, GA 30601 BE SURE TO INCLUDE RETURN ADDRESS AND
    PHONE

    b&w reversal $16.50

    Kodachrome $12.50 (or purchase prepaid mailer for $11)

    ektachrome VNF $22.

    for VHS Video Transfer add $20 setup/tape fee and return postage (usa) for
    the first 50' reel then $6. per 50' reel. (.12 per foot) Volume pricing
    available for orders over 1200'.

    You can order by phone, fax or e-mail. Payment by major credit cards or
    prepayment by money order or checks (must clear before shipment).

    706 354-0988 2-6 p.m. eastern time m-f"

    Hope that helps!

    ------------------

  9. #9
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    Personally, I find regular 8 charming for a variety of reasons: 1) Nostalgia and tradition 2) Getting your hands on a roll of film rather than a cartridge (more involvement throughout) 3) Rarity.

    I would also suggest bidding on regular 8mm film on ebay. It can be much cheaper than other sources.

    I found a place online and this is what they told me...

    "shipping depends on the size of the order

    $5. for small orders in usa
    Regular (DOUBLE) 8mm film prices

    fomapan 100 b&w
    plus-x 25' on camera spool
    $15.99

    kodachrome 25' on camera spool $17.99

    ektachrome VNF 25' on camera spool $19.99

    prepaid kodak kodachrome processing mailer $11.

    add $3. spool deposit on b&w and ektachrome refunded
    when returned to us for processing

    Processing 8mm or super 8
    including return postage in USA

    just send the film with payment in a box or padded envelope to JAVA PHOTO 156
    1/2 Colllege Ave, Athens, GA 30601 BE SURE TO INCLUDE RETURN ADDRESS AND
    PHONE

    b&w reversal $16.50

    Kodachrome $12.50 (or purchase prepaid mailer for $11)

    ektachrome VNF $22.

    for VHS Video Transfer add $20 setup/tape fee and return postage (usa) for
    the first 50' reel then $6. per 50' reel. (.12 per foot) Volume pricing
    available for orders over 1200'.

    You can order by phone, fax or e-mail. Payment by major credit cards or
    prepayment by money order or checks (must clear before shipment).

    706 354-0988 2-6 p.m. eastern time m-f"

    Hope that helps!

    ------------------

  10. #10
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Interesting.
    Is Regular 8mm still made today? Or is the film that's available like left overs?

    I'm only 15, so the home movie stuff I started with is that crappy mumbo jumbo crap of a magnetic strip 8mm. I hate it!!! Blaaarg!! And you have to edit with a VCR, and the quality sucks! I started trying out Super 8 a few weeks ago, but I haven't developed it yet. And I'd like to try Regular 8, just to see how it works n' stuff, and I'd like to see people's reactions as they see me film with a Kodak Brownie making "chk chk chk chk" noises.

    What's the site for that Regular 8mm site? Where I can buy the film?

    Thanks

    Jeff


    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •